Sunday, January 30, 2011

What a challenge--jdemilo

When I started this challenge I was a piece-maker with commercial fabric.  All my quilts were pieced either using a pattern or paper piecing, or crazy piecing.  My goal in participating was to enlarge my skill set in surface design.  Since that time I have low-water immersion dyed, snow dyed, parfait dyed, shibori dyed, wax batiked, soy wax batiked, stamped, stenciled, shiva paint sticked, Smooched, painted, printed, silk screened, thermofaxed, beaded, couched, discharged, shrunk, photoshopped, CitraSolv, and probably several other techniques that don't come readily to mind.  In other words, I have experimented more in the last year than ever before.  Here is where you can see the monthly efforts.

I was also hoping in this challenge to develop my unique voice in surface design style and I think that I did that.  The style is best portrayed in Garden of Eden. The style includes using my own fabric and handwork. There is nothing more exciting than to look at a quilt and knowing that it was just plain white fabric before you started! Here is Garden of Eden as it was shown at the Reveal.

After I showed the Garden of Eden for the Reveal, I continued to work with on it till I felt satisfied.  Here it is finished in what I consider to be my signature style.

7 comments:

  1. I loved this interpretation. I love the color and the movement. You definitely have a unique voice and I enjoyed waiting to see what your interpretation was going to be each and every month.

    I also consider myself lucky to have gotten to know you better and to follow your blog each week. You are fearless in everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just scratched the surface of your abilities and ideas this year, Judith. Here's to the 2nd year of exciting revelations! Your voice is definitely getting stronger. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your bold foray into unexplored techniques and way of seeing the challenges refreshing. You're definitely well on your way to developing a strong voice in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great piece. It will be interesting to see how you continue to use the fabric you create in future pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get the desire to start with white fabric, and you learned a ton! I loved seeing what you came up with. Here's to another year of learning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admired that green/yellow fabric when you showed it at the mid-month check in. It is the perfect 'garden' for the whole cloth piece. Observing your spirited approach to making fabric has stirred my dormant desire to dye, decorate,and otherwise manipulate the white cloth.

    I like this piece. And, another favorite is "Roots".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roots was one of my favorites of yours. I like the added snake in this one - your ability to find the right part of the photo and go from there, Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!