Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Weed--Debra


A Weed
7½ x 11½ inches
machine embroidery


What is significant about this month's piece is that every single bit of it was machine embroidered.  And further, I was motivated to learn various techniques with my embroidery software that had previously frustrated the daylights out of me.  So . . . .  this little piece just tickles me to no end!

I was able to "auto stipple" the background, choose the "weeds" & play with flipping them in various ways, combining colors so each color stitched out on all the weeds before moving to the next color, adding patches with decorative stitches, trying a new font, remove and resize the butterflies from another design and the best of all--doing the satin stitch edging on the machine (automatically while I sat on the couch and ate bonbons!).  While this piece took about 2 hours to stitch, it took about 2-3 days to learn to stitch.  In the end, I am so happy I took the time because now my skills portfolio has increased tremendously.

"A Weed is just a Plant whose Virtues have not been Discovered."

7 comments:

  1. It's a very charming piece in itself, but as you explain how you did it, it's even more impressive. The stippling and the stitches around the patches look very hand done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quote and the piece. I had to laugh at the time it took to learn versus to sew. Seems that is so true all the time.

    It is lovely and charming and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is charming, indeed! Your embroidery patterns and threads are well chosen and manipulated to portray a breezy summer day. The off-set fabric pieces behind the words add to the effect ... brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that like, "A machine is just a machine until it does the embroidery?" Or something. LOL!

    The piece is wonderful apart from you learning all of these new techniques. I love that you took a photo and turned the subject matter into a little saying. Very poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your able to do so much with the machine! This is such a sweet piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming indeed and apparently a wonderful vehicle for honing patience and discipline. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is my favorite of all your pieces this year. Charming is the best word to describe it! I'm glad you were able to learn so many tricks with your embroidery machine- that sense of accomplishment must feel great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!