Monday, January 31, 2011

Take Me to the Mardi Gras - Rian

Take Me to the Mardi Gras


I chose this piece to highlight my year with Interpret This! because I felt it was my most creative effort vis-à-vis the inspiration photo, and I had the most fun with it. I was in the middle of selling my house when I made it, and it evokes that memory for me when I look at it. As far as I can remember, it was the first time I worked with a light subject on a dark background. I found I enjoyed working with darks. The colors seem so much more spirited against the dark background. It gave me the idea to do a jazz series, which will be my focus in 2011 once I get all this travel out of the way.

And while on the subject of travel, I must apologize for not commenting this month because I will be away.

5 comments:

  1. No reason to apologize as we all have had the joy of following your great adventure with you and that has been very exciting.

    I also loved this piece and how striking it was against the dark background. A Jazz series would be a fabulous idea!

    I will stay riveted to your blog to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed your unique graphic style. The bold shapes and contrasts of hues and values is appealing.

    I, too, will be following your Jazz series.

    I just have to comment on how "sneaky" you were with our first photo challenge. That "mess" of Chinese food picture was your submission and you cleverly gave us a carton of carryout in your interpretation. That was the BIG clue for me about thinking outside the box concerning our challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my favorite one of yours. A really great interpretation of a difficult photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely one, Rian. I might have said your self-portrait was my favorite though. It's been fun to see your work every month, and I'll be looking forward to whatever you do in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you found this festive view of Kay's photo! I like your fearless use of strong shapes and colors - looking forward to seeing your Jazz series in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!