Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reeds On The Mullet River - Barbara

"Reeds On The Mullet"
18 1/2" X 28"
Pieced, Rawedged fused applique
Machine Quilted
Couched Yarn Binding

When I photographed this scene I did it with the intent to someday add birds to the scene.  When this photo was chosen I had my opportunity.

I began with piecing the background and then cutting it in strips, staggering them, then resewing them together.  I fully quilted the background at this point and then began adding the reeds, fusing them on and quilting them.
Next  came the foreground branches and leaves, also quilted after fusing.

The flowers were added....

A small wren a bit hidden.....


And finally a pair of finches, male and female, bold and in the front.

The perfect binding was Nellie's couched yarn binding to finish it all off.
I enjoyed working on this piece and am happy with the results.  It felt good to finish this year with one of my photos.  I hope you enjoy it too.

9 comments:

  1. You're work is amazing! I like how you cropped in on the photo and then made it in a fairly large scale. You make me want to play with the background construction that's become part of your signature. And then there are the birds ... wonderful! Your style of impressionistic realism is very appealing ... another one of your signatures.

    PS: The couched yarn edge is a perfect finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PPS: Looking back at your piece again, I see a correlation between the staggered construction of your background and what actually happens to reflections in the water. Brilliant if it was, or was not, intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds were exactly what the picture needed! I also love the fabrics you chose. They suggest the water, plants, and reeds perfectly. This whole thing is very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's not to love here? Right up my alley with birds, flowers-only thing missing is a butterfly!!

    I can never say enough about how impressed I am with your work, Barbara. I'll miss seeing new pieces each month next year. I do hope one of these days, I'll be able to see some of your work in person. Why don't you send it to me so I can enjoy it in the privacy of my home? I'll send it back! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your birds. Just something about their little expressions really tickles me.

    This is a great "abstraction" of that photo and the birds (as Kay said) were just what was needed. I am with Debra on this. Maybe I can babysit your pieces? LOL!

    PS-I love the movement of the staggered background and quilting lines in the water. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! I love this so much! Your work is stunning and your birds are amazing! Impressive is too small a word for this- beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly lovely and brilliant execution. I, too, love the birds - well played in the reeds. The addition of the brown leaf/reed in the lower right really adds that extra depth to the overall design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your thought process as you developed this piece.
    Your background is very interesting and unexpected and works well.
    This piece makes me come back and look at it over and over again, and I love when that happens.
    Thanks so much,
    LuAnn in Oregon
    luannkessi.blogspot.com
    kessi@pioneer.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful rendition of your photo! The birds add interest and color- the whole piece is just wonderfully executed. What can I add that the others haven't already said? Your work is consistently beautiful- in vision and in execution. I'll miss seeing it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!