Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tussie-Mussie Wrap -- Kim



Tussie-Mussie Wrap
10" high by 20" (kinda sorta)
Hand-dyed fabric, inkjet print, assorted yarns

I almost bailed on this month and then yesterday I felt well enough to give it a try. I sent my husband off to buy some flowers and started making bricks. I zigzagged three different yarns together, made some leaves, enlarged the green man and printed it onto a piece of fabric. I had decided to wrap a vase I had after I had read that Vita made tussie-mussies for Harold each week. In the 1930's poorer people were given tussie-mussies, in this case Harold was considered poorer in Vita's eyes for having to spend so much time in London - away from 'Sissingbags' as she affectionately called it in her daily letters to him. (Wow, daily letters.)


Love the flowers (he did good), not so sure about the wrap... but it's done and I'm moving on!



8 comments:

  1. Definitely an original interpretation! I hope you are feeling better. I confess that I did not immediately know who Harold and Vita were (Googled it) and I certainly didn't know about tussie-mussies(Googled that also). Thank goodness for the Internet:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is an interpretation I love! It's connected to the original picture but so fresh and original that it stands on its own. Just super, Kim! and especially given your health issues this month too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see the Green Man appear in one of the interpretations and I love the way he looks with the brick! You did a brilliant job of rising to the challenge this month, Kim. So glad you felt well enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a fabulous "zeroing in" on an element within a composition. The tussie mussie is a wonderfully delightful vessel to convey the flavor of the idyllic setting of your photo. I feel as though I just stepped beyond the doorway into a lush garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone. This is so unique and the fact that you did it during your recovery is outstanding. How unique and interesting along with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interpretation! I love the 3-D approach you took.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unique and different- I love the element you isolated and worked with. And pulling this off last minute not feeling well deserves special kudos! Well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the green man idea of this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!