Monday, November 29, 2010

Bricks, Boards, and Window Panes - Kay

Bricks, Boards, and Window Panes
20" x 29"
machine pieced and quilted

The central part of the photograph is geometric shapes and lines, all of them accessible through traditional piecing. So I thought I'd give that a try, ignoring the flowers, and stylizing rather than trying for realism. The bricks were fun, just slightly uneven strip piecing, and of course the door was a cinch. I'm suppressing the memory of the window.

I chose the green border to suggest the foliage surrounding the door, and kept the quilting minimal so that the loft of the batting would give depth.

The starkness of this seems a long way from the rich detail of the photo, but once I started down the very plain, geometric road, any additional detail like embellishment or realistic quilting seemed wrong. I'm left with something that doesn't really please me.



8 comments:

  1. The simplicity of this piece is what appeals to me. You took three of the main elements and highlighted them and surrounded them with an abstraction of the foliage-I just think it is understated and very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You created a good and solid piece featuring the three strong elements ... each of which attracts and holds my eye equally. Is it possible that you'd be more pleased with the result if there were a focal point? The "green man" or the rake or a bloom(s) may add focus or visual interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather like this piece, Kay. It's a barebones approach that seems right on target. I especially like the bricks and the archway; esp your bricks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you were able to piece this entire interpretation. Love the outside border as it really draws you in and does suggest the greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what everyone has already said. The bricks are my favorite part. I like how the cottage comes through the keyhole of the abstract foliage border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed that keyhole effect too and thought it was pretty clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone. I took some of the advice, and you can see the results on my blog. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coming in late here so I have all ready seen the version on your blog. I think that you nailed it with the Christmas additions to this one. Simple clean lines and now added interest. Very good results I would say!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!