Friday, October 29, 2010

Splish Splash - Rian Ammerman


Splish Splash 12” x 18”

Artist’s Statement: I had a lot of trouble finding inspiration in this month’s photo and I just decided one day to dive in and have fun with it (or miss the deadline). I tried to be abstract by just laying down an oval and a square and an octagon and changing up the perspective, but when I laid down the fabrics, ie. added color, it took on a realistic look which I didn’t want. So I made the water rather cartoonish.

Every month I have tried a new technique, some were successful, some not. At first I tried painting the water but I had so much trouble with the paints and the fabric (I think I wasn’t using cotton--how did polyester get in my stash). So I went and bought some paint pens by Prismacolor. Wonderful pens, but I had trouble with them bleeding, and again I think it was the fabric. But by now I had had it with painting, and just went with a technique I knew. Some of the appliqué has turned edges, some is fused. The background is pieced. I quilted most of it on the top and batting before I attached the backing.



I put on the backing by sewing completely around the piece, right sides together, and cutting a slit in the back to turn it. This probably wouldn’t be acceptable at a show, but it was a good method because I could take up the slack so none of the backing would show in front. I fused a strip of fabric over the slit. I’ve always wanted to try this so I could make irregular shaped quilts.

8 comments:

  1. This piece is successful in all ways! You are such a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dive in is a wonderful description for this piece! I agree, it works- the brick background, the color and texture of the fountain- and the water is just over the top. It is lighthearted, whimsical, and makes me think of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Debra and Beverly....what fun! Has a 60's vibe with the water. Love all the elements and the irregular border. Just makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has a really graphic appeal to it without being flat, if that makes sense. I have seen that finish before also from a "big name" quilt artist. Clever and cuts down on a lot of hassle. I like the top down view too-good angle as opposed to looking at it head on. Good job all the way round:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the top down perspective! I actually thought of that and immediately dismissed it as way above my skill level, but you've done it beautifully. The three dimensional look of the base is particularally well done,and the irregular edge is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovin' the cartoon water! and irregular shape (and how your signature fits so nicely.) Clever and fun - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really like the view on this one! The irregular shape is an eye catcher too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! The graphic style works well and is visually appealing. I like it all, but am really impressed by the grass background.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!