Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Saratoga Ovals - Kay


Saratoga Ovals 12 x 9
Machine applique, machine quilting, commercial batik, organza

When I traced, cropped, and rotated this photo to decide what to do with it, the only thing I found interesting was the oval shape of the basin, and the swirl of light and dark made by colors in the stone and the pattern of light and shadow. I decided to make the piece a study in the repetition of that simple shape, contrasting it with the vertical of the base and the smaller vertical water spout.


Originally, I intended to make the swirl with stitching, but when I found this batik with appropriate colors and the swirl pattern in my stash, I took the easy way out. I can't really say why it seemed right to use organza for the background and the vertical shape representing the base; perhaps it suggests the sheen of sunlight in the photo.

I considered using the herringbone pattern of the brick as a quilting design, but although I like the pattern and it stands out in the photo, it didn't seem to play well with the ovals, so I just echoed the ovals and the vertical design of the fountain base in stitching. The spacing of the applique pieces wasn't planned carefully, and when I added more quilting I was pleasantly surprised by the pattern formed by the interlocking stitched ovals. Sometimes you get lucky!

9 comments:

  1. I LUV it! This is a wonderful abstraction of the main (and best) elements in the photo ... the oval basin, the swirl of colors, and the vertical lines of the fountain and fence. Beautifully done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see paint brushes stirring pots of paint. You really nailed it with the colors. Nice abstraction. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really effective and clever abstraction of some of the elements of the piece. I am reminded of the ripples in a pool of water and the circular motion of water going down a drain. Really nice effort:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kay, I think it's very cool! I love how organza changes the piece, & gives it a softness & depth. I also love your repetition of the chosen design. It's very modern, & a pleasure to view!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. I like the serendipity of the quilting pattern - luck works! Lovely piece that manages to evoke key elements from the fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a super interpretation! Wish I had thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love how you create something that both relates to the photo, and pays homage to traditional quilting. I just love everything about this- the colors, the quilting- it just sings to me!!

    Aren't batiks wonderful- made mine easier too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ovals curves round shapes! I love circles and this is such a pleasing pattern with subtle colors. Very well done! I love how you abstracted the design and kept to the photos elements.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!