"On Spring Street"
10.5" x 23.5"
raw edge appliqué, monofilament thread
My favorite parts of the photograph were the light/shadows and the way the water fell from the right spigot. But it wasn't until I was reading about the mineral water from the Hathorn Spring - the water contains 888.403 grains of solid contents in a gallon - that I thought about making the quilt by using lots of tiny little pieces.
I keep a box under my work table that has leftover scraps with fusible web and found all the colors I needed to "paint" this piece. I started off with a white piece of fabric, sketched the design, and began the tedious job of filling in the color.
I spent a few days telling myself that this was stupid and too time consuming and it wasn't going to work
By the time I was about to start working on the base of the fountain, I had settled into a wonderful working rhythm... lost in the joy of creating and happy with the progress I had made.
The studio was a disaster: bits of paper and tiny snippets of fabric everywhere; the iron stained and ironing board trashed.
I wasn't sure how I would finish the piece. Finally decided to use only monofilament thread the secure the fabric, it didn't add much but it didn't interfere either.
I struggled with the binding. Couldn't seem to make it work. I found a larger piece of the fabric used for the brickwall in my stash but it need something else. The white 1/4 inch border around the whole piece brought it all together.
I'm really very pleased with the result.