Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Fountain-Libby

The Fountain
11" x 14"
painted and stitched fabric
In working with these photos, I try to find my own meaning in them. I am not a surface designer but more of a "concept/idea" person. I did learn about the history of Saratoga, NY and the role that these underground springs played in shaping the economy and social background of the town. Good stuff but I still couldn't grab onto anything. My next move was to see if I could insert a child figure into the scene. I think there is something really wonderful about taking a walk and coming upon a fountain hidden from view or where you just didn't expect to see one. I especially love the idea of a grown up helping a child to drink from a fountain-what a treat! I imagined the water running underground and pushing up to the surface, ready to drink. While my figures aren't as relaxed as I would have wanted and the fountain ended up being dead center, I like the concept and the colors along with the motion and direction of the paint strokes. I kept the scene sparse to just highlight the child, the adult, and the fountain.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Libby, I think this one is your best! I love the colors! Applause!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, nice one, Libby! By pulling the fountain out of its surroundings, adding the figures and that beautiful painted background, you've made this your own. The colors really are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it from the clue! Very free and spirited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your painted surface and the movement and splashing of the water that you feel when viewing this scene.

    The figures remind me of my grandson and me at our fountain. He is more interested in playing in the water than drinking from it but is always fascinated by how it runs from the top down and just has to put his hands in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Your background painting of the water "springing" up from the ground is inspired and well done. The role of a child in this composition works wonderfully well ... as it did in last month's when they were climbing the fence. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, indeed, your teaser clue was spot on. Wonderful movement in the background fabric - really brings the piece to life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do such a marvelous job of adding a story to your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are developing a nice body of work- this one says 'Libby' along with the others! I like the movement you achieved in the paint strokes- your figures and the fountain are just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a real 'you' piece. Adding the child getting a lift to the fountain gives it a fun look. Love the burst of color that makes me feel as if I am seeing the rainbow prisims from the fountain spray. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!