Friday, October 29, 2010

Lava Lamp- Beverly

What does a lava lamp have to do with the photo this month?  Absolutely nothing, but the title seemed to fit my piece.  At least it was all I could think of!!

Lava Lamp- Beverly
12" diameter, rusted cotton, batiks; machine pieced, appliqued, and quilted.


Sorry, Judith, but nothing spoke to me in your photo.  I played with drawings, even did some piecing, but nothing flew.  Then a crisis at work left me with only a couple of days before my reveal.

I really should credit my daughter in this one.  She's the one that pointed out the interesting shapes and colors in the cylinder on the fountain.  I wanted to find a way to include the mineralization I saw in the fountain, and some like the geometric shapes in the brick on the ground.

The lava lamp in constructed separately.  I wanted it to be smooth, so it's not quilted.  I quilted the background before I appliqued the lava lamp to it, then finished the edge with satin stitching and couched yarn.


It's simple, but I like the fact I was able to pull elements from the photo into  a piece that references rather than portrays it.  Beyond that, I can't say- I am still trying to recover from that lost night's sleep!

8 comments:

  1. Well, considering the hard time you had, I think you did really well. The circular shape repeats the shapes of the fountain and the cylinder portion really stands out nicely. You also achieved a nice repetition of those "circular" shapes with the quilting. Maybe you should create through a crisis more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, clearly, Libby pulled the words right out of my head! I totally love this very modern straightforward view of the fountain. You nailed the colors and the essence of the fountain perfectly--love the background quilting & the organic feeling chevrons. One of your best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Libby and Debra. I also love the rusted fabric choice which keeps the piece earthy and natural. The quilting and the unique shape
    are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's very pretty. The colors--and the rusted fabrics in a circle--inspired! I think you've managed to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (no offense Judith, just an expression).

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing to apologize for here! The colors are lovely, the workmanship looks terrific (I love the quilting), and this actually is a good representation of part of the photo. Rian put it well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly you work well in a crisis. Excellent fabric choices and the quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just amazed at all the wonderful quilts coming out of the difficult photo this month! You did this one under duress even!!!! The deceptively simple lines and quilting work so well. A clean modern look and I love the circle shape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Golly, what else is there add?
    Ditto to all the above comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!