Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Fountain--jdemilo

The Fountain
8 1/2  x 14 1/2 inches,
handdyed and rusted cotton, organza, tyvek

This quilt started off bigger but when I ruined the other half, I took my courage in my hands and cut it in half.   The background fabric started off life with me as a clean up rag for dyeing and painting.  I took that rag and wrapped it in rusty metal and sprayed it with vinegar to get some lovely rust on it.  Then I dyed it with some green dye for the bowl of the fountain.    I have been experimenting with heating fabrics so the rusty flowers in the bowl of the fountain and the water are both fabrics that were heated to make them partially disappear and be more see through.  The flowers are organza and the water is Tyvek that was colored with water pencils. 

 Here are some details of the burned fabric:


10 comments:

  1. Wonderful textures and layers! You make me want to play with tyvek and burning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyvek! I love the water, but my eye is drawn to the rim of the bowl. Always interesting to see the way you manipulate the textiles, Judith. You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Each month you bring new techniques to the table. I too love the textures you create.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water and the burned fabric on the rim is very attractive, both in color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the burned fabric - very effective in capturing the fountain's rim. I think it's wonderful that you gave new life to a "clean up rag" in creating a lovely piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This picture was definitely a surface designer's delight! I think you rose to the challenge well. You don't need the other half of the quilt one bit! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who cares about the other half of the quilt? Your exploration of new techniques is really growing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, you pulled something good out of a mess-up. Love the rusty fabric and the tyvek water- something I'll definitely need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh this one looks like fun! love the rusty fabric and that you explored techniques with this challenge.Great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!