Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September's Challenge Photo--Debra

This month's picture comes to us courtesy of Debra. She took this photo while living in Indonesia in 1999. As per Debra, there is no "printable" back story. Because of this, I urge everybody to find some aspect of this photo that you can grab on to in order to make something uniquely yours. We have had some innovative interpretations so far so I know that even though this is a tough photo, people will do well on one level or another.

I wanted to say thank you also to everyone. Many of you have been generous in your time, commenting when I know that schedules are busy. Please continue to try your best to comment on the pieces. I think it helps us all to know that our fellow members are looking and thinking about each other's work.

Also, in reviewing our work to date as a group, I think we can be proud of what we have done. I did want to mention something that I think would be helpful. Now would be a good time to review your IT! pieces (and even your other work) to see if you are headed in the right direction. Maybe you don't know what that direction is but now would be a good time to review since we are nearly done with the challenge. I did this yesterday and saw some things in my work that I want to improve upon. I also remembered that I was looking for a way to tie these pieces together. Take a couple of minutes if you can to do this. I found it to be helpful.

Thank you again to everyone for your participation so far to date. There are just a few challenges left so good luck!

Libby

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I like this one! Of course, that is what I said about the one last month. That didn't turn out so well! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was difficult choosing a photo. My hard drive sizzled this summer and I couldn't rely on photos I had stored for the past 5 years.

    While I lived in Indonesia in 1999, I took a lot of pictures that I had planned to come home and interpret in fabrics. This was before digital photos so I had those photo albums as a resource. I decided that if I was really going to use them for inspiration, this was certainly the time to do it!

    One thing that struck me about Indonesia is that the people use whatever is available for construction of what they need. I got involved with photographing fences, gates, and doorways. I thought this one was interesting because it alluded to a deep, lush green inside and had that signature ramshackle style of construction.

    I hope it is not too hard. Of the 3 I submtted, this was probably the most involved but I am sure we can all rise to the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I am enamored by fences, doors, and windows everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I've already sketched out an idea. I think my challenge this month will be finding/making the fabrics to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's encouraging--I didn't want to post a dud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one has me going in five different directions!! Focus, Karen focus!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!