Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Peeking Through- Beverly

 'Peeking Through', 28 X 18
Hand dyed and commercial fabrics, machine pieced and quilted.

 Yes, I went for the obvious- the fence.  Not only did the potential for strip piecing jump out at me, I was intrigued by the interplay of color and value behind the fence.  I tried to contrast the more rigid man-made element of the fence with the organic, light filled area it enclosed, and tried to used my quilting to emphasize that difference.


The button idea occurred to me after I'd finished quilting- why not, the fence has closures!  I lucked out and found a couple I thought fitted the mood and the place of the photo perfectly.



I enjoyed doing this one- piecing is an almost meditative activity for me, even when I do it freeform (without a ruler) like I did with this one,.  The fabric I used for the bits behind the fence is not one piece, but several from two different value gradations I did last year.  I knew I'd find the perfect quilt for them!

This one intrigued me enough I may do some more playing with the idea, varying how the light plays behind the fence and trying different quilting ideas. 

13 comments:

  1. There's an elegance to this straight forward presentation of a peek through the slats of the fence. I find myself peering beyond those slats ... that the fence is secondary to what lies beyond even though that area is undefined.

    Until I saw the close-up, I thought the button was a knothole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric you used behind the fence. I agree with Nellie, it really is the focus of your piece and not the fence. Thanks also for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you nailed the whole interpretation--so to speak! Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you made your focus on a close up view of the piece. The fabrics are really lovely too. This is a nice slice of the photo:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect fabrics, for this Beverly. It makes a beautiful interpretation. The quilting does indeed capture the organic quality you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your interpretation. It's full of atmosphere, rick yet also subtle in a very fresh way.
    I just love it.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I made a typing error. Please read ""rick"" as ""rich""!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting approach--you don't see the fence as much as look through it to what's beyond. And the beyond is misty and etherial. Lovely effect, just beautiful. And you managed to capture the depth of field, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, everyone- it is nice to know I accomplished what I hoped to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like how the background of your piece has become the focal point! Beautiful fabrics. The buttons are a very good addition. I can see how you would want to play with this idea some more. You accomplished so much with this one! Really very nicely done!!!Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful....I love your choice of fabric and I too felt like I wanted to walk up to this fence and peer through to that mystical place beyond. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful composition and your fabric choices are wonderful. I loved this section of the fence and you brought so much life to it! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although it focuses on the fence, the fabrics you used really pull you through to see what's on the other side. Love all the texture!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!