Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Outside Looking In--Rian

Outside Looking In
Outside Looking In
18" x 21"
Rian Ammerman
September 2010


When I first studied the photograph, I felt like the fence/gate was holding me in, preventing me from seeing the world beyond. But then I got to thinking, was I on the inside looking out or the outside looking in? I couldn't tell. So I decided to tell a story about what might lie beyond the gate, or what was contained within. I stepped through the gate and turned around to look back at the other side, seeing what is behind the viewer. The world looks very different on the other side of the fence. The fence is a Twilight Zone, separating day from night, light from dark. The road disappears over the crest of a hill, so we never see what is beyond, if anything. Maybe there is a destination. Or maybe it's just our imagination.

I have wanted to do a series of night scenes, so this gave me the opportunity to work with darks and see how they play off each other. In the photo, the trees are easy to see. In person, it is very difficult to make them out, so I outline-quilted them in silver thread. I fiddled around a lot with metallic threads, breaking several needles, but I think I finally overcame the obstacles. Not that I would use metallics again, but I happened to have the appropriate colors on hand. I also used glitter and fusible crystals, just for fun. The glitter adds a lot, the crystals not so much.

Commercial batik fabrics, applique'd and fused.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful and creative! The wonderful sky makes me think of Starry Night. Great job, Rian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing the right thing by creating a series of night scenes as this one is outstanding.
    I wish I could see it in person as you can not get the feel of the crystals and glitter. You say the trees hardly show in the reality of this piece and here they are easily visible which makes me think the actual piece is much more fantasy-like and mystical. Yet this piece is fantastic! Great work Rian! Absolutely a stunning piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, YES! I am very interested in seeing your night sky series. That sky and the moon on the water are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wasw very clever of you to come through the gate and then portray what was on the other side! I knew if you thought about it you would come up with an idea! and your execution is superb. Your artwork never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, Rian!! I love the use of fabrics and values.

    Now if you will excuse me I'm headed through that gate, up and over the hill to do some star gazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this one a lot-a very clever interpretation. Dark fabrics are tough but you managed to make that scene seem like it is bathed in moonlight. Really well executed:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful fantasy piece- it reminds me some of Van Gogh. I love the idea of working from the 'other' side of the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your sense of color! This is really wonderful, I hope you will post all the night sky pieces! That beautiful blue and the trees look like a perfect night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charming! I especially like the patchwork of batiks that make up the ground ... and the trees in the night ... and the moon with its reflection. There's a complexity of patterns making up all the landscape elements except for the road/path. The smooth curved edges on that light value not too complex patterned fabric makes it the focal point to my eye. My attention swings between the moon and the path ... and I really want to be looking at your wonderful gate first and then following the path through the scene..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, let there be glitter! Too bad about the needles but the end result was worth it. Wonderful piece. I love the trees and the moon.

    Looking forward to the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!