Monday, September 27, 2010

Out of Eden--jdemilo


Out of Eden
25" by 20"
Hand-dyed cotton and silk;
turned edge, raw edge and fused applique; hand quilted and embroidered.

Fences always make me wonder, Who is in and Who is out?
When Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit at the enticing of the serpert, they got thrown out of the Garden.  Scriptures don't say where the snake ended up but surely he got thrown out too.  I hope the quilt tells a story about the fruit and the snake but the focus of the quilt is the barrier that separates the snake from Eden.

If you are wondering if I am just that bad of a photographer... well, okay I am not great... but the quilt is wonky in shape intentionally and is not all caused by the angle of the camera.  All quilts need to be interesting from far, a bit closer, and really up close.  Here are some detail pictures.




This quilt has quite a bit more piecing that I have done on others in the IT! series.  I am not sure how I feel about that but I have decided to think of it as progress.  My goal was to increase my skill with surface techniques.  All of these fabrics--ALL-- are my hand dyes or batiks!  Wow!  That is something I could not say a year ago.  Learning to use the hand dyes as elements in the piecing techniques I have used for ages is new.  So, progress!

11 comments:

  1. and excellent progress too! This is an exceptional interpretation--I would never have thought of the garden of Eden for the picture but it definitely works. Nice job, Judith. Love the fence posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!

    Wonky works. The whole piece works so well in its simplicity of composition and storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this interpretation and the fact that you used the lush fabrics that you made to portray the Garden of Eden. The snake in the entryway can be interpreted as negative elements that we all try to keep from entering our lives. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! Whimsical and fun. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just gotta add how much I love the wonkiness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a step to the next level, not only making the beautiful fabrics but using them effectively. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wonderful! Love the wonky fun. It's playful yet tells a great story - I especially like how the snake sits camouflaged just outside the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great is it that you not only produced a fine work but that it is a progression for you as well! I too like the wonky-ness of this one. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this one- the colors, the wonkiness, and that fantastic snake. It definitely tells a story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your hand-dyed fabrics in this piece. Is the stitching on the fence hand stitching? It adds a nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a great story and it's told well. I love the texture and colors of your beautiful hand dyed fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!