Sunday, September 26, 2010

Memagari Dari -- Kim


"Memagari Dari"
21" wide x 54" long
Commercial and hand dyed fabric, machine pieced and quilted


Well, it's done. I had planned a horizontal piece that was bigger but decided I didn't like the bigness of it, so I made it smaller and decided it looked better as a vertical hanging.

I liked the photograph and how the fence was constructed from many different types of wood pieces. I also found inspiration in thinking about the fences and walls that we build to keep others out of our personal spaces.

10 comments:

  1. Kim, your interpretation is exactly what I think of when I look at this picture! Very linear & structured. I like it very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up what the title of the piece meant! Very clever. I like how you extracted out the elements of that fence and switched up the colors. Very nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful use of color, Kim. You did a great job abstracting this composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choices! I really like your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy the unexpected quality of your pieces, and this is no exception. It's a very striking arrangement of color and shape. I like the vertical composition too.

    How about sharing the meaning of the title?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all the other posts. Love the vertical composition as well and the linear aspect of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. Kay, memagari is 'to put a fence around' and dari is 'away from'. It may not be grammatically correct but I liked the sing-song sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, this is great. I like the color choices especially nice how they compliment the piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the color palette and the thought behind the construction. And the name is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very effective! It clearly ties to the photo but is totally different. I love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!