Sunday, September 26, 2010

Exclusive: By Invitation Only--Debra

 Exclusive: By Invitation Only

19 x 23 inches
Cotton Trimmings, Bridal Satin, Sheer Overlay and Netting
Embroquilting



We all know that a gate or a fence signifies that some are in and others are out.  I've lived in many places that were surrounded by fences & I have often wondered about the idea that "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence".  While in Indonesia, I can almost positively assure you that the grass was greener inside the fenced in area.  The distance between the Haves & the Have Nots was immense. The Haves were very determined to keep their belongings safe behind any kind of fortress.  So while working on another project and thinking about the picture, I began to remember times when I felt excluded and imagined that those behind the fence were having a much better, a much livelier time than I was having at that time.

So following in the Indonesian tradition I commented about of making something from nothing, I decided to use the little matchstick trimmings from my project to construct a fence that was lively and gay.  I was also tickled by the text along the selvedge that said "exclusive" so went down that path too.

In an effort to try some very close quilting (but not actually do it myself--life is short), I programmed the embroidery machine with a longer 5.0 stitch length and began securing the little trimmings to a bridal satin background.   I had some sheer drapery samples I wanted to add in for a change in texture and shine.  I added these as the machine stitched (which was spontaneously fun).  To finish off the composition and keep a raw edged look, I used folded netting.   I love how this worked and will use this idea again.

This is not a serious piece and it's not even a complex piece but it is one that I did freely and spontaneously.  I think it abstractly captures the gate idea and asks the question, "Where's the party?"  Do you have your invitation?  Is the grass really any greener over there?

15 comments:

  1. It does capture the gate idea nicely in an abstract way, just as you said. You ended up with several layers which relates well to a many layered meaning type of piece too. Putting it on a plain background really makes the contrast stand out too. Fun that there is so much going on with something that looks so simple:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It is lively and tells of so much fun! Keeping the raw edges and using the netting as binding, wonderful way of letting it keep a spontanous look. All that stitching and the little parts of really really close rows ( lots of work there!) add such good textures. An abstracted view of the fence true, but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN! Fabulous! Fantastic!

    I like everything about it. Your statement, both visual and verbal, is a wonderful interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, Debra! The texture, the color, it's so lively. I'm also enamored with the white space because it shows off the texture so beautifully. Great interpretation and a wonderful piece. This would look great hanging in my house....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colors and texture, Debra! Very striking. This is sure to be a unique interpretation, and that's what it's about, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really fun to make and I could see making more. It was like eating dessert before dinner. Thanks for all the positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool interpretation D - well done! Love the colors on the stark white background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you mean this piece isn't serious? I love making something from nothing! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Debra! I think the 'something from nothing' approach has produced a lovely piece. The long stitches are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess what I mean by not being serious is that I didn't labor (mentally) over the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the "fence" floating in the middle of the white. Great technique with unusual fabrics. Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely interpretation. I love reading how pieces came about; to me that's icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow-love the bright colors, and how the straight lines convey the fence lines in the photo. I especially like the meaning behind the fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about it! I love making little quilts out of garbage and you have inspired me with this gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's very different from what I've seen you do but it's VERY effective. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!