Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Behind the Gate - Kay

  

Behind the Gate  22 x 22
Machine pieced, quilted, and appliqued

There's no big concept for me this time.  This photo is all about lines, so I used Quilt Pro to draft a traditional-looking block, following the general appearance of one side of this gate or fence.  Then I  rotated the block until I found an interesting pattern, and colored half the blocks with a green background suggesting the foliage and half with a neutral background suggesting the road.  It's constructed with strip piecing; this small-scale precise piecing is a pleasant. focusing activity for me.

Debra's comment about the jungle foliage bursting through suggested the appliqued leaves.  Rather than make them flat like traditional applique, I made two-sided leaves and attached them by stitching only the vein down the center so that they have dimension.  They were stitched on after the quilt was quilted and bound.


They extend beyond the edges of the piece to increase the look of natural, overgrown foliage.  (I photographed this against my yellow bedroom wall because a white background doesn't show the extending leaves as well.) I included a bit more detail about how I made these leaves on my blog, and you can see a neutral background there too.

The idea for this came very easily; the execution was more laborious than I expected.  I enjoyed the strip piecing, but the leaves were a pain.  Next time I may think twice before going for the first obvious idea I have!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, but the leaves are worth it! I have used that technique and really like the use of it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful....the leaves (that technique was perfect for this) the vertical lines of the fence and layout. I think you captured the feeling perfectly. You are right...sometimes the obvious is where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact you were able to take a more traditional 'block' approach, yet really evoke the feeling of the photo. And trust me, the leaves were worth the effort and time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, good idea to think through the execution before digging in. I must remind myself of this next time.

    What I love about this piece is the symmetry. Striking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is just a lot of neat stuff going on here. Quilt-like without being a quilt. The pieces look interwoven and create patterns without screaming about it and those leaves add dimension which I think is really clever. Very subtle and a clever execution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't disappoint! This is one of those stellar pieces that sits between the traditional and the non-traditional proudly. I love that space & I think you really do some very nice work there. Keep it up! This is a super interpretation!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the fence like blocks play off each other. One with the green and one without. The leaves add so much to it, a good move on your part in spite of the difficulties! That it has a bit of dimensionality to it is even better! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your set of the gates is novel and pleasing. However, my attention is focused in front of instead of behind the gates. The leaves are wonderful and worthy of being the focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the leaves, even if they were tedious, they bring the piece to life. Nice symmetry and good flow - Nicely done Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you have blended art quilting with a traditional quilt layout. The leaves are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!