Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer Day Dreamer - Karen

Summer Day Dreamer
14 x 11 inches
painted and fused leaves
cotton floss embroidered butterfly

I wanted this one to be simple and airy. To bring to mind a bright sunny summer day.
Those who read my blog will note that this is not the butterfly that was intended...
despite the difference I choose the blues of the butterfly in the photo. I could have gone for a more detailed and perhaps, realistic take on the actual butterfly, but I was aiming for simple lines and open airy feeling. No fussing on this one! I finished it with a pillowcase finish.  I did a simple running stitch around the leaves and machine stitched the fused leaves that gives each leaf a bit of a raised look not quite a trupunto though! I played with the idea of adding the pale pink/lavender flower buds via french knots but felt it became a bit too fussy so taken artistic license I omitted them.

11 comments:

  1. That's lovely, Karen! I like the light airy look of the leaves, and the embroidery is beautiful, of course. No need to worry about not having every detail like the picture, you have the essence perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely accomplished the light and airy feeling you were going for- love the hand embroidery! You got the essence and the mood without being literal- I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a graceful butterfly! You have really done a marvelous job of interpreting the photo-now the leaves have a voice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the simplicity and the freshness of this piece. The complexity of the butterfly is just enough to not over power the simple leaves and stitching. Great interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think you got the right balance for this between the leaves, butterfly, stitching and color selection. There is also a great new element of non-layering that isn't in the original photo which makes the piece appealing too. Good interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stitching around the leaves is what really makes it pop. Very eye-catching, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, just the perfect effect that I could not get in my sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've captured the essence of the elements as well as the feeling of the picture beautifully.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I love this. Simple and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely airy and light feeling to this piece. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love the simplicity of your piece - clean and fresh and lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!