Monday, June 28, 2010

More Than Meets The Eye - Barbara

"More Than Meets The Eye"
17" X 29"
Pieced
Raw-edged Fused  Appliqued
Pillow Cased
Machine Quilted 

I studied this photograph for almost a week trying to come up with some inspiration and direction.  The leaves were so dense that my mind could not wonder what all was living within them.  Once that thought occured to me I was off and running.
I began with the pieced curved strips in the background in different tones of green.  I wanted to be sure to have enough green since the photo was overwhelmingly green (and it is my favorite color).


I wanted to make the butterfly as something that appeared to be the main focal point and found some Kaffe Fassett fabric that I could cut into the wings and then add the body.   I also fused some circles on the wings for more of a butterfly feel.  I was not concerned making the butterfly the same breed as shown in the photo, but did choose to make it blue.


Then I want to town on the undulating stems, leaves, flowers, moths, ladybugs, spiders, inch worm, caterpillar and ants.  I thought about mosquitos but in my fantasy garden there are no mosquitos.  I wanted the moths to take on the same appearance of the leaves on the plants and also hid the inch worm,
spiders and caterpillar using similar fabrics as the stems and leaves.  The lady bugs just like  climbing up the stems.

Lastly I pillowcased it and quilted it.

It was a difficult start this time, but became fun adding all the details into it.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! I am in love! I adore absolutely everything about this quilt! I want more pictures of all the little surprises you have hidden in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a terrific job! Like you, I was stumped on this one, but what you've done is brilliant. It's pretty without being obviously so, and takes the picture a step further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a visual feast! I love the sunshine, the shadows, the crawling and flying creatures, AND the whimsy of the whole thing ... including the wonky edges. It feels a like a privileged peek into Alice's wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sure a winner of a piece, Barbara. You know I am going to ask about the black highlighting-if it is a painted or fabric background. Do tell. There are a lot of great echoing elements here too-I particularly like the vertical stripes which are suggestive of the actual stems. The color choices are really superb too and add some additional dimension to the original photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An absolutely superb and individual interpretation of the photo! If only gardens could really look like yours!! Excellent in all ways, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun piece! I love that you imagined life beneath the canopy of the leaves and the denizens there. I especially liked your freeform shape, I wanted to do that with mine but I don't know how. Maybe you'll teach us how to do that. Excellent piece, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No painting at all on this one. Just all fabric or thread. So glad to hear you all like it. It had a life of its own and I just followed what it asked for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am swooning over this one!! A feast for the eyes!! You have raised the bar high here. Beautiful! I love all the hidden details you have, this is one that would just keep me coming back to over and over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I love your take on this. Nellie is right, it is like we're taking a walk through Alice's garden. The more I look, the more I see-- wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful, magical piece. I love the spider and all the other critters. Wonderful choice in Fassett's fabric for the butterfly but, adding the circles - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!