Monday, June 28, 2010

Aflutterby -- Kim


"Aflutterby"
11 x 19.5 inches
Commercial and hand-dyed fabric, 
raw edge applique, machine pieced and quilted,
paintstik, beads and wire

I must confess that one of my favorite parts of this months challenge was discovering May Swenson's Unconscious Came a Beauty (here). During the first few days of June, as I worked in my sketchbook, I would read the poem and look at Karen's photo. While I briefly considered doing some sort of Celtic design, the poem kept pulling me toward a more realistic interpretation and I decided to make a single butterfly that could hang freely. Her antennae are seven inches long and her wings are embellished with a little white iridescent shiva paintstik.




She spent some time in the studio clinging to a piece of fabric.



And has been spotted in the dining room.





I'm not sure where she'll ultimately end up but it's been fun letting her roam about the house.

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Wish this one, too, could be seen with my own eyes. My monitor screen is not picking up the iridescent Shiva paint stick work :-(

    Your butterfly will look anywhere she alights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a butterfly fly around one's house is just the best idea ever! Kudos, Kim, for a great idea and a beautiful execution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could get a closer look at the detail on those wings! You have been very precise in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and love that you can move it around easily from room to room. How delightful is that?
    The execution and colors are wonderful and of course once again, your sketches are so interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it! So like Barbara, you "pillowcased" it? Love the freestyle effect! I think it needs to be suspended in air so it can catch a breeze now and then. Awesome job, Kim! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! How wonderful that it can travel and alight anywhere. Beautiful intrepretation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very nice, Karen! Like Judith, I think the precision of this is striking. Quite a departure for you, but wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever, stand alone piece. Definetely one to hang from somewhere high so she can visit with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you made the butterfly a stand-alone work. The colors are gorgeous, she will make a welcome addition to whatever room she finds herself in, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!