Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Spring Returns--Debra


Spring Returns
32 x 36 inches
Monoprinted fabrics, vintage fabrics, commercial decorator fabrics, lace, fabric transfer printing and embroquilting





I had a lot of fun last month with the layering of scraps so I wanted to continue with that idea this month.  In looking through my various leftovers from previous projects, a number of them spoke to me of spring and I couldn't resist using them for this piece.

My thought was to make some layers with flowers be more subtle than the big burst of color that always announces spring so I tucked some drapery prints in and between the brighter greens I chose to represent the grass.  I also had some interesting leaf prints from some vintage barkcloth so that went in too.  And, what is spring without some birds?  I had some misprints from my Hoffman Challenge piece and they worked splendidly for this piece.  An unexpected addition was some overpainted lace that was quite hideous on its own but worked to give this piece some structure along the edges.

I love the whole idea of working with "messups" and "castoffs" to represent an idea.  It's very liberating to compose this way!   Expect even more in the future from me.

Comments are welcome!

17 comments:

  1. It's awesome, Debra! The quilted circles look like raindrops on water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really nailed spring, both its subtle moments, and it's not so subtle ones. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! I love the use of castoffs finding a home in this piece. It has movement and depth. The colors from the photograph and spring time message is right there for the viewer to see.
    The birds tucked in are just perfect.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely you! Very bright and spring-like, and using castoffs is always good, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the soft "feel" of this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the past if I didn't "work hard" on a composition, I didn't feel like it had as much worth as another piece that seemed easy to me; but, this approach is allowing me to reevaluate a composition's worth. Now I am going with the idea that if I can express the thought I have, than how I get there (easy/hard/scraps/whatever) really doesn't matter. That slight shift of attitude and "owning" of my ideas has made a big difference. I think it also helps that I have boatloads of extremely precious "raw materials" that took years to collect. *wink* I just hope someone posts a picture soon so I can start using all these mesh fruit bags I have been saving. Who needs expensive supplies?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring! Definitely spring ... it's a good interpretation of spring in Libby's park. There's sunshine and shadows, blossoms and trees and birds, with even a reference to spring showers with the quilted concentric circles. Now that's a full orchestra! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another joyful piece 'springing'from your creativity. Wonderful balance between the monoprints and scraps. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew this was Debras right away! I love the use of all those different fabrics. It has a wonderfully nostalgic look. And there are your birds! The quilted circles compliment the linear lines of the quilt. I really like your take on the photo. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also knew it was Debra's as soon as I saw it. I love the quilted circles, and the depth created by the different fabrics. The colors definitely sing of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Late to the party but this piece is so very you. It is abstract but very much a "process" piece, using your thinking and ideas as the basis for the results and interpretation. Plus, you used the castoff which always feels good:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Debra! It has such a nice feeling about it. I just really love it! You are in a good place and it shows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the soft underwater effect. The spontaneous feel is also very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice, Debra! I love the overall feel of casualness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never heard of "embroquilting" before. I think it looks great, the circles are like raindrops on water...over the chaos and beautiful life of spring...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The circled quilting really makes your composition pop, Debra... so nice... so Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debra this is beautiful. I would like to try it. It looks so freeing if that is a word. I must start looking for scraps. Have tons of lace.

    Hugs

    fredaB

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!