Silk, organza, wool batting, cotton cording, driftwood
29" by 42"
29" by 42"
Pink like a blush
Sweet scent with petals,
falling at spring
I wanted my fabric to be pink like a blush to represent the petals. The fabric is silk (remember the really good deal I got on silk a few months back?). I dyed it with three shades of pink using a Japanese resist dying technique called Shibori. To bring out some of the stitched flowers, I used some shiva paint sticks.
I wanted the quilt as a whole to represent the tree so I bought white cotton cording and dyed it black and then softened the black with shiva oil sticks. Using large eyelets I wove the cording in and out of the fabric to indicate the branches of the tree.
I wanted heavy texture for the blossoms on the tree. I found a wonderful book named Stitching to Dye in Quilt Art by C. June Barnes that showed how to use wool batting to distort a quilt in interesting ways. I got my batting from Cederview Farms because I needed a batting that would shrink if abused--so many commercial wool battings are treated not to shrink. After spending days (and days and days) dying and quilting, it is a leap of faith to throw the quilt in the washing machine and hope that it shrinks in interesting ways. I think my sample turned out better (I did more interesting quilting on it) but I did get really heavy texture. This is a technique I will experiment with some more.
I was stumped for some time on how to hang the art quilt till I found a piece of driftwood in my stash and decided to paint it blue for the sky. The quilt is hanging from fishing line from the driftwood.
I hope you like the result!