I loved Libby's photo- all that green was balm for my winter-weary eyes, and that pink just gave it the zip I needed. I knew I would do a more abstract piece, and that never changed.
In the Pink- 17.5" by 18"
Wholecloth, painted with Setacolor transparent paints and bleeding tissue paper
Fused applique, machine quilted
I just imagined what it might look like if nice warm summer breeze caught all those pink flower petals and sent them flying!
I wanted to use the bleeding tissue paper and paints right from the start. I made several pieces over two weekends, and chose one of them. The first weekend I did inside with my heat lamps due to lousy weather- the second were done outside. I really do think the sun gives better results,. I machine quilted the piece, trying to give a sense of movement or the wind. The petals were cut from another piece of cloth I painted in the same way, then fused with the same technique Kay used recently- Terry Grant's. I love how the quilting lines don't show through the applique.
Here's a couple of detail shots, so you can see the neat effects the tissue paper gives.
If you are interested in how I did this, I got it from the Summer 2006 issue of Quilting Arts magazine. I've done it before, and have a piece that uses the same technique (but looks very different!) hanging over our fireplace. On that one, the tissue paper refused to be removed, so I just quilted over it. That created fantastic texture! I was hoping the same thing would happen with these, but no such luck- it all peeled off without a problem.
This one makes me feel happy just looking at it. I think it may be headed for my office wall- I need all the happiness-inducing stuff I can have there!