Monday, May 24, 2010

Blossoms-Libby

Blossoms 11" x 14"
Whole cloth painted fabric; fused fabric
For me, the tree and the park are my focus for this piece. I chose a mostly representational design, taking some liberties here and there. The tree is not as full of blossoms as in the photo and I added a small suggestion of water on the left hand side. I know the lake is there.

I have been anxious to merge a painted background with fused forefront images. Everything is painted except the blossoms which are fused pieces of what Joanne's calls "silkessence", i.e. polyester! I added thread work to enhance the various values and shapes. I did learn that this particular polyester can be successfully backed with Wonder Under. Lastly, I wanted the images outlined to suggest a drawing.

I love this park. Without sounding silly, the park is a source of comfort and joy to me. As I took these photos, I was in awe once again at the power of nature's ability to continually renew itself.

9 comments:

  1. You definitely got the essence- the glorious spring colors, that feeling of serenity only nature can exude. It looks like one of your drawings- and that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby, this is a beautiful interpretation of your photo ... the style and techniques used are so very you. Even if your name were not on this piece, I would recognize it as "yours".

    To use my music analogy, the lovely melody of this scene is loud and clear. I can almost hear a full orchestra with lots of violins playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as lovely as the photo--and that is a real compliment, Libby. I think the blending of techniques is terrific too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you have successfully mixed the two techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! It has a beautiful, calming feel to it. And if I remember correctly, this went together quickly. I think you are on to something with these painted backgrounds. I love to see a mixture of techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent piece-probably one of your best-a very well done combination of techniques. I can see some real growth in your approach here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has the peaceful feel of a quiet place full of beauty. I think you have merged the painting and fusing wonderfully! This is another piece that is truly a 'you' work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done! Excellent technique with the blossoms, they really 'pop' - just like I see in the photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!