(24.5 x 32.5 inches)
Commercial fabric, machine pieced and quilted
At the beginning of April I had this idea that I wanted to use Colette Wolfe's The Art of Manipulating Fabric in creating the textures and layers that I found appealing in Nellie's photograph. I did some shirring and smocking, then made some little pillows but, I did like what was happening or where it was going. Next, I tried laying some blocks of color out on the design wall but I was unhappy with both the horizontal lines and the rectangles. I found myself moving to a more abstract representation of the photo but I couldn't quite find that "spark" to get enthused about working on the challenge. I went back to my brief research notes and found what I needed:
...the toes of the glaciers advanced down the valleys, sculpturing the v-shaped stream valley...
...amalgam of accreted crust...
Exotic terranes: crustal blocks displaying properties identified as having originated elsewhere than their present location through discontinuities in lithography, floral and fauna evidence...
and immediately thought about doing a primarily v-shaped abstract with a mixture of other shapes while still keeping some horizontal lines to illustrate the layers. I wanted to keep the palette limited and fairly neutral with black and white accents and those pops of color (green and orange) in the photo. I drew the plan for the quilt out on a piece of newsprint adding diagonal lines and notes where I wanted certain horizontal lines and accent colors. I cut the sketch into strips of varying widths and paper pieced the quilt with scraps of commercial fabrics. I did minimal machine quilting (in the ditch) and attached a simple binding.
It's done. It turned out better than I thought it would. The studio is a disaster but it will recover.