Monday, April 26, 2010

Erosion - Barbara

"Erosion"
28 inches X 16 inches
Torn Commercial Fabric
Pieced, Machine Quilted
French Knot Embroidery
Permanent Fabric Marker shading
Couched Twine
Couched Yarn Binding

When I first saw the interpretation photo of Nellie's I was immediately struck by texture and the abstractness of it.  It did not take me long for direction so fabric selection began.

To keep the textural quality of my interpretation I chose to tear all my fabric with the exception of the rocks which I cut rough raw edged shapes for.


By tearing the fabric I created a raw raveling edge that enhanced the texture and added a naturalness to the piece.  I tore smaller strips and layered them in my orange area to add even more testure and some dimension.

I also chose to quilt each area differently adding a lot of zig zag stitches for texture and blending from on color to the next as the layers moved down the piece.


When I place the rocks on the water's edge I shaded them with permanent fabric marker and then quilted them into the water.


Lastly I added the twine and couched that on for the twigs and roots.  I shaded these too with fabric marker.  (I apologize for  this photo the twine is not that bright)

I made the edge irregular in shape to keep movement across the surface and not have it have a feeling of being hemmed in.  Then to continue with the textural feeling I added a couched yarn binding.

I thoroughly enjoyed this interpretation and the journey it took me on.

11 comments:

  1. Your piece has a very close connection to the original photo-even the water fabric is a close match. Very cool, Barbara!

    I bet we are going to see more torn strips as the Reveal continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job. A lot of interest in how you did this and especially neat about tearing your fabric. Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Barbara! It all works together nicely. I like how you did the rocks next to the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job!! the twine was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very effective the way you created texture with the tearing and the twine, Barbara. Very close in feel to the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in agreement with everyone else. Also. it doesn;t seem to be bound and is irregular in shape. Am I seeing that correctly? I think that adds to the abstraction also. It is more than just a "slice" of the hillside-almost like you are glancing at the hillside and just get a gli,pse; if you get what I mean. Good presentation, really,and of course I like the colors and fabrics (as always):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've captured the essence of the photo as did Nellie, but with a very different feel. I like how both of you went for texture- again, in different ways. The twine was an inspired choice for the roots. A really effective and well executed piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, how graphic, how rectangular, how spectacular!

    I find the strong rectangular configurations in your picture, as well as the rectangular shapes of your torn fabric accented with the secondary roundness of the rocks and the gentle twisting of the roots appealing. I like how your irregular edges showcase the various layers of earth. Your water is great ... movement and depth is well portrayed.

    I'm checking in late, because we were traveling all day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually did bind this piece with the couched yarn binding to keep texture to the hill side but not hem it in too much. I also chose to use it because the traditional binding would have been a challenge for the irregular border.

    I am really liking this binding technique, Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the combination of the irregular shape, torn edges and twine - nicely capturing the photo - but I especially like the rocks 'quilted into the water.' Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is so much detail in this piece, it took me a long time to pull my eyes away. Very successful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!