15 1/4 by 10 1/4
Cotton sateen, oil paintstiks, machine quilted, hand embroidered
I looked at Kay's picture for a very long time, and many times throughout the month! I tried cropping it, played with different filters in PSE. I even tried painting a couple of faces with my Tsukineko inks- and promptly discarded that idea.
I kept coming back to a couple of elements in the photo- that long horizontal line of dolls, and that sea of hair they were sitting in. So I decided to emphasize those elements in my piece, and have the rest play a very understated backup.
Originally I thought I would use discharge to create the doll shapes, varying the time I left the bleach solution on the fabric to create different values. Experimentation showed that wouldn't work to my satisfaction, so I played with my Shiva paintstiks- voila! I created two different freezer paper stencils, and had to paint in the dolls over a week-long period of time so the paint would have enough time to dry before I ironed the second stencil on.
I hand dyed some cheesecloth to stitch on for the hair. When I applied it, it didn't work- it overpowered the dolls, and thrust itself into the foreground. So the decision to use seed stitching was literally last minute- I finished that up last night. The quilting was determined by the other objects in the picture. In retrospect, I think I could have done that differently, and just left those bits out of the piece. Obviously, I pretty much ignored the colors in the photo!
Here's a detail with a closeup of the embroidery and quilting.
This was an interesting photo to interpret; after my initial reaction, I actually enjoyed the process!