"Black Eyed Susans" - 24 1/2 in X 17"
Raw-edged fused appliqued
Embroidery Perse - Beaded & Crystals - Oil Pastels
When I first saw the photo I was somewhat overwhelmed by all that it contained. So I studied it for a while and decided that these three dolls were what I wanted to focus on.
I drew out my sketch and began searching my stash for a great background fabric and the doll face fabric. I sandwiched the quilt and quilted the background only following the lines in the fabric. Once that was finished I began assembling the faces. This is what I fused first to the quilt.
I added Pigma Penned lashes and brows and oil stick pastels on the cheeks.
After finishing the faces I added the embroidery perse flowers and leaves and made the stems fusing it all down. Then began the surface quilting.
Unlike some of you I saw glamour rather than spooky or haunting, maybe due to being an antique dealer, so to add to that feel, I beaded their head pieces and added crystals to their beautiful blue eyes.
I used Nellie's tutorial for binding the edge with chenille yarn to bring a bit of texture of the hair to the piece. I feel good about the results.