I finished this in the nick of time. The challenge photo of Chinese food brought to my mind a world of textures. My first solid idea was to do a coiled fabric spiral and wrap it with embroidery floss. I was going to take strips of the gold satin and wrap it around a pipping cord. Thats when I scorched it! Now, it wasnt a total 'Ah-Ha!' moment but I did see the texture that formed from the steam iron holes. It dawned on me that here was something doing exactly what I wanted to do!
Scrapping the cording idea I put together a circle of the scorched fabric to mirror the plate shape of the photo. This is the fabric as it was just beginning to get scorched to within an inch of its life!
The satin went from soft and supple to dense and stiff almost plastic feeling. My cut and pieced circle could fly like a frisbee!
Now, given that I was on a time frame that was getting shorter and shorter I decided to stick with an 8 inch square frame. I would have liked to do this one larger but with the amount of stitching I envisioned I knew that I had to scale back.
I did a feather and blanket stitch variation to anchor it to the background fabric. and went to work on the inner satin with french knots and feather stitches. I just loved how the steam hole circles looked like peas in a pod. Here in the low angle shot you can see some of its dimensions.
Rian said the photo was taken while she was in Shanghai China. I searched the web to find the Chinese characters for the city. I embroidered them with satin stitches.
To add interest and a bit of the straight line graphic the photo had I did some Kantha stitches in a striped pattern with floss. I did find that it is not squared up really well. That is something I will most likely fix now that the time crunch is done!!