Thursday, February 11, 2010

February Teaser - Rian

I suppose it's time to start flirting my idea with you.

When I first started to work on this piece I went for the literal. I thought it would be fun to re-create the shapes and textures of the food. But as I happily cut carrots and peas and fused them onto a beautiful piece of heavy silk I bought in China, I was not pleased with the rudimentary quality of the work. There was little creativity involved. So I thought and I thought, and I went outside the box (you might say) and came up with an image that is loosely related to the original.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you and I don't "loosely" have the same idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.... if it's the one I'm thinking of, I had it too. But I'm not using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo hoo- I flirted with literal for about a day, and happily abandoned it. Can't wait to see where other loose interpretations go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think loose interpretations will be more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we need to remember that a "literal" interpretation can be creative also. We're using a different medium and different techniques, after all. There's also room for creativity in setting, color, etc. The finished effect is what's important. I'm sure there's going to be lots of variety. Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought literal to begin with actually. Done in my own home grown graphic style. I didn't think I had the skill to pull it off (or the fabrics) and then what do I do with a plate of food? LOL! I switched gears twice which is fine. Gotta make myself happy, happy, happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a lot of elements to play with in this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm playing loose and literal!

    How does that fortune cookie joke work... in bed or between the sheets?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!