Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fast Food--Rian



Chop-Chop Chow
Rian Ammerman, February 2010

Size: 21" x 22"

Batiks and cotton blends. Machine quilted.

Artist's Statement: I wanted to do something completely different, something that did not look like the original, and something that was fun and whimsical. I saw this red-dragon batik and decided it could be wallpaper in a Chinese restaurant, and there the idea was born.

Lacking a for-real Chinese restaurant in this area, I had to resort to grabbing an image of the takeout container from the internet. Folding the fabric box with the skewed perspective was challenging.

I initially made noodles with a bias tape maker, but I didn't like the flat results as much as the cording, which was more pliable and more colorful. The below picture shows the piece photographed from an angle so you can see the relief.



The quilting is outline quilting and free-motion outlining of the "wallpaper" dragons.



I am not a hand sewer, but I enjoyed making the cookie and the pea pods, and I had fun making the piece overall.

17 comments:

  1. Love everything about it. It's so cool Rian. What's your fortune say? I know..."You will be in the sunshine soon".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Rian! I like the noodles,they look perfect with the button touch and peapods. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally blown away!

    How did you make the carton? Did you form it and then sew it to the background? and that fortune cookie is so realistic! Everything is just grand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is good looking! Very clean and direct. Great dimensionality too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Striking! You do like red, don't you? The dimensional techniques are very clever, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I have not had breakfast yet and it looks good enough to eat! Love the box, you did a great job on the perspective and the folds, that could not have been easy. That wallpaper is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What FUN! This is NOT AT ALL how I would've expected you to interpret your photo choice.

    It looks good enough to eat. I especially like the slightly skewed perspective of the focal point over the symmetrical print of dragons in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope you will talk about the techniques you used on the box, fortune cookie, and pea pods. I love the dimensionality of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I formed the box in two sections, front and sides as one unit, and the back flaps as a second one. I used a stiff poplin so that it would be very opaque, and I formed the folds around freezer paper.

    The fortune cookie is two circles sewn right-sides together and turned. The same with the pea pods. I left plenty of seam allowance in the pea pods and I didn't have to stuff them.

    There is no fortune on the cookie because I didn't want to waste 8"x10" fabric for that little strip, but if I did, it would say, "Help, I'm being held captive in a Chinese cookie factory!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! You definitely captured "fun and whimsical" and complemented it with skillful construction. Love the noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great! Absolutely love the background fabric and the dimensional work is fantastic...I think it would be hard to interpret a photo you took yourself and not have it just be a repeat of the original...you certainly did a fine job of it and it is a fun, playful piece that speaks to me of Rian! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Makes me want to run out for some Chinese take out, some lo mein!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very very well done! now i'm off to find the take out menu.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so realistic Rian... love it, love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors and the whimsical quality it has. The dimensional parts are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!