Thursday, January 7, 2010

My photo-jdemilo

I had absolutely no problem choosing my photo.  It is one of the photos we had professionally taken right after we married.  It was our Mother's Day gifts to our Mothers that year.

You can stop reading now if you don't want to hear our love story.

After finishing my Master's program at Indiana University, I was ready for some adventure.  My kids were independent, I was long divorced and on my own, and I had lived in Indiana all my life.  Therefore, I moved to Maine to serve with the Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) program. 

I sold half my belongings and loaded the rest into a U-haul.  I left Indiana  three days after Thanksgiving and arrived in Maine on Dec. 3 with a foot of snow on the ground and -20 weather.  I called up my local church and asked them to send me some men to unload the truck into the house I had rented over the internet.  The church sent me Floyd.

Floyd had been separated/divorced for 10 years and hadn't dated.  I had been separated/divorced for 14 and hadn't dated.  For three months we said hello to each other at church on Sunday.  Then we went with a group to a Karaoke Dinner Dance for Singles at church and fell in love on the dance floor.

We dated for two weeks and got engaged.  We planned a wedding for three weeks and then eloped.  That was two days after my 50th birthday.  Our children gave us 6 months.  Our mothers were thrilled we had found someone to make us happy.

I wanted to use this picture because it is with the Love of My Life and I am very happy.

8 comments:

  1. OH, I love a good love story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww!!! That is the kind of story that I like to hear:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I get from this is not the love story, but how amazingly brave you were to strike out like that. I hope the portrait will show that too. (If this puts pressure on you, sorry. That was not my intent._

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would that all stories could have this happy of an ending!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!