Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Light My Fire - Rian

Light My Fire (Self Portrait)

Rian Ammerman, January 2010

Size: 20" x 25"

Commercial and hand dyed cotton fabrics. Fused; machine quilted.


Artist's Statement: I initially intended to do a series of four faces a la Andy Warhol but I simply didn't have the time. So I did one, and while I was cutting fabric I was listening to the Doors and thinking about the album covers of the psychedelic 60s, and the music and fabric took me along for the ride.


I used Photoshop to tweak the photo to get the four values (plus black), then I used an opaque projector to enlarge it onto freezer paper. I started to do it in browns and tans because I had a range of those, but I found that boring and predictable. I had limited sets of four gradients in any one colorway and I didn't have time to dye fabric, so I used what I had on hand with a suitable range of tones. Once I laid down the first fabric, which was the lava-looking one, the piece took on a life of its own, directing me.


The photo is a studio portrait we had made on a cruise ship last August.

14 comments:

  1. Rian, you totally captured the essence of who you are -- right down to the hair roots and talking with everyone. I love the twinkle in your eye! The colors and fabrics really work to convey your inner energy and drive. Just super!

    One Hot Babe! I am glad you chose the reds and blacks over the beiges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired! I love it! Love the energy reflected by your choice of fabric hue and the quilting pattern. You look like a "great ball of fire". I look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your teaser was right on target! Great job. Those colors certainly convey a feeling of personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the quilting and the colors and the title all play together! Great choice of a picture -- looking out of the side of your sassy eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous!! I love the reds. Very vibrant and energized!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rian, I can't resist adding that yours and mine will make an interesting comparison/contrast. You'll see what I mean tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! The strong colors, supporting flame like quilting...really inspired. I feel like your personality really comes through.

    I love the studio portrait of you and Jim. What a wonderful contrast to your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-I love it! The colors, the energy, the personality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful fabric choices (I especially love the lava-one) and the variegated thread works so well in allowing light to dance throughout the piece.

    I think a portrait of Jim would be a lovely companion piece... you have the time, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The art conveys the initernal burning desire that you have in your heart, the woman you are.

    Grab that ring girlfriend, the world is yours. A-mazing piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful piece Rian. The fabrics and the design are beautiful. You've really done amazing work. Portraits are so difficult, especially in fabric. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see the other three in the series if you ever get around to it! That would be absolutely show-stopping on a wall! But this one is very dynamic and impressive on its own. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic portrait. I too look forward to getting to know you. Your choice of quilting compliments the piece perfectly. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!