Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Rian: An Introduction

I am so glad to be part of this group. I participated in something like this several years ago and I gained a lot from that experience. I have a busy year coming up with moving, and I am facing some other challenges, but I need to reawaken my creativity.

In other compartments of my life I am an avid golfer, a reluctant cook, a seasoned world traveler, and I have an active social life. I take care of my husband Jim, whom I call "J," and my sidekick Riley, a miniature schnauzer who demands a daily frisbee-throwing session.

I started quilting 12 years ago. I was on the threshold of becoming a grandmother for the first time and I was looking for an idea for a baby gift. Being the creative type, I wanted to make something with my own hands. I had never seen a quilt before (honest!) and I was visiting Amish country in Ohio and saw quilts. That would be a perfect gift! But I didn't know if they had quilting in California, where I live. Well, it turned out they do. I signed up for a class and made my first quilt.

As for my sewing background, my grandmother, who lived with us because my mother worked, crocheted. She made beautiful afghans with colorful yarn, and lacy bedspreads and tablecloths with white thread. She had a treadle sewing machine in her bedroom and I used to make clothes for my dolls, and I did some garment sewing in my teens and twenties.

I wasn't as interested in sewing as I was in painting, which was where I expressed my creativity. I took extensive art lessons and painted with oil paints. Then my life took a devastating turn and I hung up the brushes, turning my back on my art. My paints dried up along with my creativity, for nearly thirty years.

Once I started quilting, I immediately branched out from classic piecing to art quilts. I tried everything. Every quilt was a different style. You can see some of my stuff here, and if I can ever figure out my password to that site, I'll update it.

Those old wounds have healed now and I want to be an artist again. It's time.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome! Let's Do It Again! I think this is going to be a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the background info. Some I knew and some I was glad to learn about, especially the part about your experience as a painter.

    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! I went to your quilt show. Do I have a lot to learn from you! Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts! Looking forward to working with everyone in the group!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!