Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Barbara - Introduction

I am going to be the late comer here but wanted to still introduce myself.

I am 61 years young. I never sewed much of anything until I was in my 20's but instead studied art and graduated from college with a graphic design degree. I then got married and had two boys but after 9 years that marriage failed. A year later I met my husband, Bob and gained two lovely step daughters and he and I had one daughter together. These "children" now range in age from 45 to 25. We celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary this year. I live in Plymouth Wisconsin.

Most of my younger years were spent raising children. It was my new mother-in-law who introduced me to quilting. She had a 95 year old neighbor whose name was Mrs. Strange who got her involved in quilting. This neighbor lived alone and had the old fashioned quilting frame set up in her living room and quilted every day making beautiful quilts all by hand. We would go over to her house and listen to stories of her sitting under the quilt frame as a child while her mother quilted. She was one of the most interesting women I have known as was my mother in law.

So I began quilting then 28 years ago. I made mostly traditional quilts for gifts and home. Baby quilts, etc. It was shortly after this that I began making wall quilts. I like them because I could finish one faster and decorate with them. I still stayed with pieced blocks but started to add a twist to each one. It was only about two years ago that I decided to try making art quilts.
I learned about fusing and that was the magic I needed for the creative process to begin. Now it is my passion.

I am finishing up a commission I have been given to do which started out as 28 quilts for Sherman Hospital's Labor and Delivery rooms. It has now increased to 35. This is my first large commission and it has been an enormous experience. My deadline for the additional seven is the end of January so I will not be able to participate until that is completed.

You can find out more about my work on my blog www.bslartquilts.blogspot.com and
I am also on Facebook but have not had the time to really do much communicating there.
I am excited to join in and participate here and it is a pleasure to meet some of you for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. We will be happy to have you on board whenever you get here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!