Sunday, November 29, 2009

Debra Spincic--Intro Post

While some people are born with silver spoons in their mouths, I was born with a silver needle in my hand! All the women in my family sewed so it was quite natural that I would sew too. I've done just about every kind of sewing from utilitarian to designer. During the past 20 years my interest in garment construction waned as my interest in quilting grew. I came to quilting the very end of the 1970s with my first quilt being a Grandmother's Fan made from leftover clothing scraps. Like most quilters of the time, I got inspiration from women's magazines.

During the very late 1980s and early 1990s I discovered the art quilt movement. I was totally in awe of the early work of Yvonne Porcella and Nancy Crow. I could already see that my work was bouncing back and forth between these two influences. With a formal training in home economics, I felt more comfortable in the rigid, predictable style of Nancy Crow. But, the side of me that wanted to be an artist longed for the simplicity of Porcella's work. I spent a good amount of time exploring both sides until the mid-1990s when I took a moratorium on other people's work and focused on what I wanted to accomplish without outside influences. I was in this frame of mind when my first marriage ended. I then took a 5 year hiatus from any textile work.

In 2004 I remarried and felt the call again to take up my needle. To get back to where I thought I needed to be, I spent some time working in the traditional manner; but, soon, I was back to the seesaw of the early 1990s-wanting to work in a more free manner. The internet proved to be a boon to my quilting. I was introduced to like-minded people and I have stay connected.

Over the course of the last 5 years I have developed a style that is what I think of as "collage crazy quilting". I do machine and handwork together with embelishments--not entirely a true crazy quilt; using modern techniques and materials. I often work on a large theme based piece for long periods of time.

When Libby and I started brainstorming the idea for the challenge, I was immediately interested because I want to do some smaller pieces in 2010. I focus so much energy on the larger pieces that I often feel I am neglecting the child within. So I hope this challenge will be the prompt I need to release that child!

My other quilting interests are making scrap quilts that I often donate and making quilts for soldiers.

You can find me on Facebook as Debra Spincic. My blog is listed in the sidebar.

I hope this will be a fun and fulfilling challenge! Let's Quilt!

3 comments:

  1. I like the description of your style; I don't remember hearing you call it that before, but it seems a perfect description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is just something that came into my head recently--probably more from having worked on the Bird Study where the middle was collage and the outside was CQ. Then, the same technique seems to have shown up on my current piece too. So, I am going to do some more pieces in that "style".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kay on that description-I think it really fits. Plus, your own sensibilities make your work unique so you can just add that to the mix!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!